Airport Business

OCT 2018

The airport professional's source for airport industry news, articles, events, and careers.

Issue link: https://airportbusiness.epubxp.com/i/1034468

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 22 of 59

October 2018 airportbusiness 23 EXECUTIVE INTERVIEW next three semesters. These guys and girls can go walk across the street and work for AAR, which is moving along very successfully. It’s working exactly as planned. AB: With the additional need for employees on the airport with expanded cargo, has this been a challenge to address as an airport with any staffing issues? MD: Human resources is a current challenge to all industries and all sectors and all employers and we’re no different. AB: With the failure of the state to take up a bill to expand the taxing district for airports in Illinois, how are you looking to proceeds to make sure the airport is receiving funding? MD: The downward pressure on property tax revenue in Illinois and locally is very strong. A governmental authority like Rockford Airport, we have to continually find other revenue enhancements for the airport. The particular effort you’re referring to was really started with Bloomington airport and Quad Cities airport. Rockford joined in because we thought it was worthwhile. Rockford is located in Winnebago County and the airport is located in the city of Rockford. In Winnebago County, only about 40 percent of the county is contributing property tax wise to the airport. We take a position that the entire county should be supporting this airport. The entire county and region does benefit by the airport economically. If it were to go through the way it was proposed, the current 40 percent of the county who pays taxes to the airport their taxes would go down a little bit and the other 60 percent that would now be contributing would be contributing a very, very low amount. AB: There has been a lot of political challenges in Illinois in recent years, but a budget was recently passed that got you $3 million in federal funding to upgrade the cargo apron and the terminal. Do you see any signs that things are going to get easier for airports? MD: We refer to Illinois as a pass through state. When you have a $3 million project from the FAA, that money goes through the state of Illinois Department of Aeronautics and then it comes to us. The state of Illinois will contribute 5 percent of the project or $150,000 and locally it’s $150,000. I believe personally that the state of Illinois clearly understands the importance of this airport to the state’s economic vitality and to the future growth of the state. I’m very comfortable in believing that the state will always be a good partner. I'm very comfortable in believing that the state will always be a good partner. Advanced Control Equipment Doesn't everyone want an ACE up their sleeve? With the new ACE3, you'll benefit from better performance, easier maintenance and more functionality than previous distributed control products. New ACE3 ups the ante for distributed control equipment • All-in-one touchscreen provides easy access to exactly what you want • Easy configuration using the local touchscreen, no laptop required • Compatible with any CCR manufacturer • Backwards compatible with our previous distributed control versions: ACE and ACE2. ACE3 will also easily interface to or replace any Liberty DCMU units • Up to 8x more I/O capacity than the ACE2 adbsafegate.com www.aviationpros.com/10132415

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Airport Business - OCT 2018